Frequently Asked Questions

Most frequent questions and answers

What is Agency Adoption VS. Attorney Adoption?

An Adoption agency is a licensed business that places children in adoptive homes. They are staffed by trained professionals and are regulated by the state. Adoption agencies often provide an extensive range of services, pre and post placement, including preparing adoption home studies, matching adoptive families with expectant mothers, and providing counseling and support for birth mothers. Many agencies also provide counseling for adoptees and adoptive parents. Be sure to ask the adoption agency that you choose for an outlined list of services they provide.

Adoption attorneys are experts in adoption law. They represent private and independent adoption cases. An adoption attorney may work with an Adoption law center, such as Adoption Network Law Center (ANLC) and file the adoption paperwork, oversee the adoption case, and finalize the child placement process. Adoption attorneys handle the legal process, but do not generally locate birth parents for clients. Some may assist by placing ads online, in newspapers, and within social groups for their clients that are hoping to adopt.

What is Garrett's Law?

This law allows you the freedom to remove DHS from your situation. In doing so, you exercise your right to choose a family to adopt your child. The family will have to be approved by a judge and must meet home-study requirements. This option could allow you and your child to remain in contact. At the very least, it allows you the right to exercise your choice and choose your child’s future family and path. 

This option could allow you and your child to remain in contact!

What are the Levels of Custody?

Power of Attorney: Power of attorney transfers powers over a child to a trusted guardian to care for a temporary period of time

Temporary Guardianship: A temporary guardian is appointed by the court to serve during the emergency only and for a limited amount of time, as set by the court.

Permanent Guardianship: The Court has appointed a guardian over the child on a permanent basis Adoption: the act of legally taking a child to be taken care of as your own

Adoption: The act of legally taking a child to be taken care of as your own


Can a biological mother who is a minor, complete an adoption without her parents consent?

Yes. In Arkansas, a minor is considered sexually emancipated at the age of 16. A minor is assigned an ad litem through the courts to represent them and can consent with her ad litem representing her.

What is the legal process around
relinquishment of parental rights?

In Arkansas, a biological mother can sign a consent to guardianship or adoption. In the case of an adoption consent, the days of revocation can be either 5 or 10 days (revocation meaning when mom can still choose to parent).

When can birth parents make an adoption plan?

In Arkansas, prospective birth parents can voluntarily consent to adoption at any point after a child is born. After consent is given, there will be a 10-day revocation period, during which they can legally withdraw consent.